Skip to content

R-II School Board, SGHS Principal Laud Administrators For Difficult Decisions

Honoring the state’s shelter-in-place directive, Ste. Genevieve R-II School District board members met via Zoom on April 21, with the meeting also broadcast live on Ste. Genevieve Community Access Television.
In addition to discussing contingency plans for graduation and prom, the board also approved a new health insurance package for employees and looked at end-of-school dates.

Ste. Genevieve High school principal Chris Hoehne expressed appreciation during the meeting for the community as a whole and for the R-II administration’s leadership during the COVID-19 crisis.
“During this time, I’ve never been prouder to be a part of this community and its leaders and the business community,” Hoehne said. “It’s been amazing to see us all come together and keep safe. Every time I see reports on the news and see how low our numbers are, I’m so appreciative of the difficult decisions.”
March 17 was the final day for on-campus classes in the R-II School District.
The decision was initially made to shut school down for two weeks. On April 9, Missouri Governor Mike Parson closed all Missouri schools for the remainder of the academic year.
Hoehne said he would put superintendent Dr. Julie Flieg and assistant superintendent Dr. Paul Taylor “at the top of that list” of community leaders forced to deal with the COVID-19 pandemic.
“They have made very difficult decisions for staff and students alike,” Hoehne said. “Decisions that they  probably would never have wanted to make, but they’ve been forced to make. And they’ve done them very well.”
He also thanked Flieg and Taylor for guiding the district through the crisis “with a calm and safe demeanor.”
School board president David Bova said that he “completely agreed” with Hoehne and also thanked Flieg and Taylor. Long-time board member Martha Resinger echoed those sentiments.
“Thank you so much for what you’ve done,” she said.
Resinger also thanked them for maintaining lunches for students since on-campus classes ceased.

See complete story in the April 29 edition of the Herald.

Leave a Comment