The public will be invited to visit Ste. Genevieve’s new Art Center and Art Museum during a Promenade des Arts weekend this spring.
The Ste. Genevieve Art Guild is firming up details for the event, which will give people an opportunity to talk with artists, sign up for classes and workshops, and learn about the old museum building’s long connection with art.
When the stone structure on the Courthouse Square first opened in 1933, it hosted a display of local artifacts and three art exhibits by members of the Sainte Genevieve Art Colony.
The colony existed in the town from 1932 to 1940. It was central to the development of the Regionalism art movement in the Midwest, and it brought Ste. Genevieve recognition as an art center some 87 years ago.
The opening exhibit for the Art Museum is titled, “Looking Back and Moving Forward: The Museum Returns to its Artistic Beginnings.”
It is representative of the Sainte Genevieve Art Colony member exhibits that opened the building in 1933 and will include four of the original oil paintings shown at that time, on loan for this exhibit from six different sources. None of the art in this new exhibit has been shown by the guild at any previous exhibit.
The opening weekend will feature a reception, exhibit talk, exhibit brochure and — to set the mood — live period music, hosts and visitors in period dress, and a display of the original 1933 exhibit guest book. Artwork by contemporary Ste. Genevieve Art Guild members also will be on display in a different area of the building. The event is open to everyone and is free.
This will mark the 15th time the Ste. Genevieve Art Guild has celebrated its artistic legacy with retrospective exhibits titled Promenade des Arts.
For more information on the Ste. Genevieve Art Guild, visit www.artstegen.org.
(Information in a release from the Ste. Genevieve Art Guild.)