Recently, Citizens Electric (CEC) business members have been targeted.
Here are a few tips to identify a scam:
- The call claims to be from Ameren or a utility other than CEC.
- There is an unusual sense of urgency
- Payment is requested immediately
- The call back number is not 877-876-3511
- The call back number does not match the utility when typed into an internet search engine
- There is an alternative method of payment requested.
When you receive a call similar to this, please contact CEC and your local police department with the call back number provided.
If you are unsure if it is a scam, hang up and call CEC at 877-876-3511 to speak with a member services representative.
(Information in a release from Citizens Electric Corporation.)