Historic Marker In Illinois To Be Re-Dedicated On Sunday
The historic marker that was placed at the Little Mary’s River Covered Bridge site in 2007 but has been missing will be re-dedicated this weekend.
The Illinois State Historical Society and the Bowman Co. of reenactors were instrumental in researching the route of Lieutenant Colonel George Rogers Clark’s march from Fort Massac to Kaskaskia in 1778. They found the five locations that the troop had camped on their secret mission. The closest public site to the camp in Randolph County was the covered bridge.
Elaine Evans began trying to find the missing plaque. Several others helped in the search. The marker was found in storage in the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) shed. IDOT has replaced the marker, and a re-dedication ceremony will take place at 2 p.m. on Sunday, November 17, at the covered bridge site. The public is invited.
(Information from Emily Lyons.)