The third annual Ste. Genevieve County Polar Plunge will take place on Saturday, February 29, at the Lake Forest Estates marina.
The event is hosted by the Ste. Genevieve County Community Center and the Ste. Genevieve High School FRIENDS organization, and all proceeds sponsor Ste. Genevieve R-II athletes with developmental disabilities to the Missouri State Games of Special Olympics later this year.
Since the event will take place on Leap Day, the theme for this year is #LeapinForAReason. Registration for teams will begin at noon, with participants taking the “plunge” at 2 p.m.
If sponsors would like to have their name displayed on the shirt, they must register by Wednesday, February 12. Sponsorship will be listed according to donations:
- Gold Sponsors: $500-plus.
- Silver Sponsors: $250 to $499.
- Bronze Sponsors: $100 to $249.
For a breakdown of how the donations are spent, see the list below:
- $100 buys five athletes uniforms;
- $300 buys Unified basketball team shirts;
- $400 buys a round-trip bus ride for Southeast Missouri track and field competition;
- $500 covers a family’s weekend hotel stay for State Games at the University of Missouri in Columbia;
- $1,000 sponsors the JellyBean Conspiracy;
- $3,000 sponsors the bus ride to the University of Missouri for the State Games.
Last year, the Polar Plunge raised more than $8,200. If the fundraising goal of $20,000 is reached, special education teacher Kristi Cleghorn and R-II superintendent Dr. Julie Flieg will take the plunge as well.
Daniel Burnett with the West County EMS & Fire will offer cold water rescue, a service he has provided for the last two years’ events.
Saints Til Friday will provide a sound system/DJ booth. Scooter Burgers will serve food, and there will be tours of emergency vehicles available for kids. Heated changing tents will be supplied by Cotton’s Ace Hardware and Marzuco Electric, and will be available for all participants.
(Information in a release from the Ste. Genevieve R-II School District.)